Ono Island, Orange Beach, is a picturesque 5.5-mile barrier island in the heart of southern Baldwin County, Alabama. This serene paradise graces the mouth of Perdido Bay, where it meets the majestic Gulf of Mexico. Ono Island is a harmonious blend of natural beauty, bordered by the tranquil Bayou St. John to the north and the scenic Old River to the south.
This gated community is exclusively reachable by car through its southwestern entrance, which ensures the privacy and security of its residents. Many Ono Island inhabitants possess private boat docks on their properties and opt to explore the island by boat.
Perks of Island Living
Ono Island is a luxurious coastal community located at the end of Alabama’s iconic coastal barriers, just a short distance from the popular Gulf Shores. The island is known for its gated housing, peaceful streets, and abundant marine life. Ono Island is also home to various parks and reserves, making it a perfect location for those who want to delve into nature or relax fishing in their own backyard.
Spectacular fauna and vegetation along the coastlines offer a tranquil lifestyle and privacy. Ono Island is also a tightly-knit community of laid-back beach lovers, so whether you’re looking to retire in paradise or simply live where you love, Ono Island has something for everyone.
- Private Gated Community
- Boat Slips for Private Docks
- Beautiful Perdido Bay Views
History of Ono Island, Orange Beach
The history of Ono Island is interwoven with pivotal moments in the boundary disputes between France, Spain, and the United States. In the year 1813, amidst protests and rebellious undertakings, President James Monroe made a historic move by seizing Spanish territories west of the Perdido River, effectively incorporating them into the renowned Louisiana Purchase of 1803.
Facts On Ono Island, Orange Beach
The island is well known for its scarcity of homes for sale, and you need an experienced agent to help you purchase homes in this area. It’s so coveted that well-known celebrities such as Jimmy Buffett, Reba McIntyre, Tom Selleck, Randy Owen, and Britney Spears have owned property on the island at various points in time.
Fun Activities Near Ono Island, Orange Beach
The Flora-Bama Lounge
The Flora-Bama Lounge is one of the most famous beach bars in the world. Located on the border between Orange Beach, Alabama, and Perdido Key, Florida, this honky tonk has been a landmark in the community since it opened in 1964.
The Flora-Bama is known for its live music, laid-back atmosphere, and friendly staff. It’s a place where people of all ages and walks of life come together to have a good time.
The Wharf Amphitheater
The Wharf Amphitheater is an open-air venue in Orange Beach, Alabama, that hosts dozens of top performers in country, hip-hop, and rock and roll. It’s also one of the largest music venues along the Gulf Coast, and features the fan-favorite C Spire Concert Series.
The Wharf Amphitheater is a great place to see your favorite bands. The venue has a capacity of 10,000 people, and the sound system is top-notch. The lawn area is a great place to bring a blanket and relax, or you can get up close and personal with the action by sitting in the reserved seats.
So whether you’re a fan of country music, hip hop, or rock and roll, you will find something to enjoy at the Wharf Amphitheater.
Gulf State Park: Alapark
Gulf State Park is a 6,500-acre park located in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It has a wide variety of activities to offer visitors of all ages, from families to outdoor enthusiasts.
Here are some of the most popular activities in the park:
- Beach: The park has 28 miles of white-sand beach, perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and building sandcastles.
- Picnic areas: There are several picnic areas throughout the park, with tables, grills, and restrooms.
- Nature center: The nature center has exhibits on the local plants and animals, as well as a variety of programs and events for kids and adults.
- Swimming pool: The swimming pool is a great way to cool off on a hot day.
- Lake Shelby: Lake Shelby is a freshwater lake that offers opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, and fishing.
- Backcountry trail: The Backcountry trail is a 10-mile trail that winds through the park’s forests and dunes.
- Butterfly garden: The butterfly garden is home to over 20 species of butterflies.
- Fishing pier: The fishing pier is a great place to catch fish like redfish, speckled trout, and flounder.
- Exploring: There are miles of trails to explore in the park, where you can find everything from dunes to forests.
- Hiking: There are over 20 miles of hiking trails in the park, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Biking: There is a 10-mile biking trail that winds through the park.
- Birdwatching: The park is home to over 300 species of birds, making it a great place for birdwatching.
- Camping: There are several campgrounds in the park, with RV sites, tent sites, and cabins.
Events: The park hosts various events throughout the year, such as concerts, festivals, and educational programs.
Ono Island Realty Experts
Do you want to purchase a home on Ono Island, and you’re not sure where to start? We can help guide you through the entire process easily. The experts at aDoor Real Estate are highly knowledgeable of the area, so don’t hesitate, contact us today.